Saturday, November 20, 2010

Chicago and the Chocolate Factory


The Blommer chocolate factory sits exactly between my apartment and my school. I can never smell the chocolate from home, but I can count on smelling it as I leave school in the evening. I wish I could tell you that the smell of the chocolate fills my soul, warms my heart, etc etc etc. No such luck... the consequence of the chocolate factory in the city, is unfortunately quite opposite. You see, by the time the smell of the semi sweet cocoa hits my nose, the hearty, thick scent that I have come to expect from chocolate has been replaced by a metallic tin-like situation. The scent takes a journey through the city streets, all the while, picking up more undesirable scents on it's way: trash, wet sidewalk, more trash, exhaust. So by the time I can smell it, it no longer offers me the soul filling, heart warming benefits of all-things-that-include-sugar-and-butter. It's like falling asleep knowing there is a snowstorm outside, and by the time you get around to playing in it, it's already dirty with soot and yellow with dog pee.

3 comments:

  1. i love this post!
    Cigarettes IN
    Tin Chocolate OUT

    but have you taken a tour yet?

    love the lights over the sign

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes, it smells like someone's smelly feet... chocolatey smelly feet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What does the inside of the store smell like? Does it fill your soul, warm your heart? I love the fact that you continue smelling your way through life. Linda

    ReplyDelete

Please Post Comments Here